Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits?
Boppin' Babies sessions promote the development of gross and fine motor skills; increased confidence to move; improved social, speech and language skills; and greater emotional expression, self-confidence and social skills in babies and toddlers. Not to mention fun musical activities that can be enjoyed by both children and adults together, with parents given ideas to try out at home.
All music is played live by a Registered Music Therapist and is interactive and child-centred.
All equipment and musical instruments are provided. Spaces are limited-bookings essential.
How do we get the most out of each session?
Boppin' Babies sessions have a unique relaxed and social atmosphere where almost anything goes. However, to help you, your littlie and the whole group get the most out of each session you might like to consider these points.
- All littlies have their own personalities, likes and dislikes. Many kids will be really excited by some parts of the session and not that enticed by others. Active learning still happens while sitting, watching and listening and wandering is actually fine too. As long as all the children are safe and supervised and remain in the general area they are still getting the benefits.
- Chat with your group leader if you are concerned about the way your child is participating (or not), and remember that all children take time to learn new routines and structures and respond positively to them. It may take many weeks for littlies to get the gist of what's happening and really start to enjoy it so give them time.
- Let your tot's unique characteristics shine through without placing too many restrictions on them. Music is all about creativity after all and there are many ways to play the drum that aren't necessarily conventional! It is all good learning.
- Sing along as much as you are comfortable with in sessions, or choose not to- it's up to you. Children love the voices of their loved ones, even if you don't think you are much chop. Our group leaders have strong voices so you can easily hide behind their strength. If you don't know the words to particular songs and would like to learn feel fee to ask the group leader to provide you with some song sheets. We also often have song lyrics up on the Boppin' Babies Facebook page.
- Many parents meet and make firm friends with other parents in Boppin' Babies groups. Whilst it is nice to have a chat while the kids are busy, it is best if adult to adult talk is kept to a minimum during actual sessions. This can be distracting for other families and the children will really benefit from having your attention focused on them. There's always plenty of time before and after sessions for a catch up.
Eating during music group
While we understand children want to snack throughout the day, it is best if you try to avoid feeding your child during the 45 minute session. This is because there are often children in the groups who have severe food allergies. Also, eating can sometimes be a real distraction to other children.
What should I do if my child or I am sick?
If you suspect you or your child are contagious, it is best to stay away from the session to avoid potentially sharing germs. Make up sessions are easily booked at another venue or session time within the same term.
If your child was seemingly well at the time of the session but later develops symptoms such as a rash or high fever, then please contact Boppin' Babies.
Any instruments that are mouthed or in close contact with children are disinfected between sessions so as to minimise the risk of germs spreading.